How Healthy are Blueberries?
We have all heard that we should be eating more blueberries. But just what are they doing for our health? Do they have more nutritional value dependent on the time of year, or the location? Are you ready to find out why everyone has been stocking up on blueberries and determine if they are worth all the hype? Here at The Best Holistic Life we want you to have all the information so you can decide if blueberries are right for your nutritional needs. Even better we will give you an out of this world mindblowing way to start eating them.
The Benefits of Blueberries
Blueberries have been marketed as a superfood. But what does that really mean? In reality, it is just another way of saying they are nutrient dense foods. Blueberries are mainly known for their antioxidant properties and their anti-inflammatory benefits. They can also help slow down the breaking down of bone (our bodies are constantly breakdown and rebuilding our bones if you have osteoporosis you have trouble rebuilding your bones). Blueberries help dilate arteries which lowers blood pressure and can reduce risk of cardiovascular disease. They are high in vitamin C which helps boost your immune system. Blueberries are great for eye sight, in fact they even help your eyes adjust to darkness quicker. They help promote weight loss and can reduce your risk of diabetes by as much as 23%. Blueberries help improve mood and memory. They are also great additions for improving digestive and urinary tract health. It is clear that there is a reason we love blueberries. Are you ready for the best oatmeal you have ever had?
Mind Blowing Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- -1 ½ Cups Fresh Blueberries
- -⅓ Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- -1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- -2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- -¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- -2 Cups Gluten Free Oats
- -1 ¾ Cups Coconut Milk Full Fat
- -¾ teaspoon Sea Salt
- -2 teaspoons Coconut Sugar
- -2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla
- -⅔ Cup Pecans
- -2 Flax Seed Eggs
- -3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil Raw
- -1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- -½ Cup Golden Raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- In large bowl combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine flax seed eggs (or 1 large mashed banana), melted coconut oil, coconut milk, vanilla, lemon zest, and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Slowly combine wet ingredients into dry, until fully incorporated (should be loose mixture).
- Spray baking dish with non stick spray (I use a brownie pan or casserole dish).
- Pour mixture into dish. Add blueberries, raisins, and pecans making sure they are evenly distributed throughout the pan.
- Lastly, sprinkle sugar on top evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 375 or until golden brown on top.
Ready for more? Be sure to subscribe to The Best Holistic Life blog and make sure you don’t miss a thing. Can’t wait for the next post? We’ve been there, be sure to check out www.AskDrDee.com right now and see even more recipes. If you would like to have us post something with you in mind let us know by commenting below.
Save this article on Pinterest.
Leave a Reply