Strawberries are easily one of the most consumed berries on the market. One of the strongest selling points of strawberries is the taste. They are flavor packed with just the right amount of sweet. The taste is more than enough of a reason to keep them as a regular on our shopping list. But whatever happened to that saying “anything that tastes this good must be bad for you”?
Strawberries are Nature’s Candy!
We all know we should be eating more fruits and vegetables. So what is stopping us from filling our plates? For most people, taste is the biggest hurdle to overcome. Strawberries taste amazing. Does that mean they are bad for us? Or are strawberries a gateway fruit, and if so where does the gate lead? If you are struggling to get more fruits and vegetables in your diet strawberries can be a great way to transition to a healthier diet. It is easier than you think to transition to a nutrient dense diet. Every time you want something sweet reach for a piece of fruit instead of sugary sweets. When we give our bodies natural sugars to process we tend to have a much steadier blood sugar control. When we eat foods full of processed sugars we see high surges in our blood sugar levels followed by the inevitable plummet when we burn through it. Strawberries could very well be the key to getting those sugar monkeys off our backs. But just how healthy are strawberries?
The 10 health benefits of strawberries are…
1. High in vitamin C which is great for boosting your immune system.
2. High in antioxidants making them ideal for anti-aging.
3. They contain ellagic acid which prevents collagen breakdown and reduce wrinkles
4. They are high in anti-inflammatory properties and will lower blood pressure and improves heart health.
5. They are high in fiber which makes them ideal for weight loss, detoxing, and digestive health.
6. They contain high levels of manganese which improves mood and lowers stress levels.
7. They are also great for your teeth and bones and can help whiten your teeth!
8. They prevent your skin from sunburn and can improve your hair, skin, and nail health.
9. They improve brain function and reduce the risk of neurodegenerative disease.
10. They are also great for aiding in hormone regulation and support a healthy pregnancy.
Strawberries are more than just a healthy sweet treat. While there are thousands of ways to add them to your menu one of my favorite recipes is these heavenly decadent brownies. Click here for the recipe. The taste will convert anyone to healthy eating!
Here is an easy bonus recipe that we love. Take 1 pound of fresh strawberries and slice them. Toss them in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Place on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper (trust me this is the best nonstick option) and bake at 200 degrees for 3 hours. They taste just like Twizzlers!
Can’t get enough? We can’t either be sure to follow The best Holistic Life and fill your recipe book! If you want help creating a diet that works for you instead of against you be sure to check out www.AskDrDee.com or leave a comment below.