Yes, I know that a lot of people claim to have the master morning-routine formula. But beating yourself up because you cannot stay focused while meditating or because you cannot seem to understand how people find downward dog “relaxing” isn’t the answer either. What you do in the morning sets the trajectory for your day. Not only does your morning routine matter, but what actually works best for you (wait for it!) kind of…depends…on…you!
So for some, this is liberating and for some this is frustrating. Can’t you just tell me exactly what to do, Lunden? Nope, sorry. No one is going to tell you exactly what to do OR make sure you do it at the end of the day. Here are 3 keys to help you unlock your morning magic in a way that works for you.
4 keys to unlocking your morning magic – in no particular order
1. Be thankful: I don’t care how you remind yourself of what you’re grateful for, but do it. For some, this is listing 3 things they’re thankful for in a gratitude journal while others look through old pictures or souvenirs from amazing experiences to be grateful for. The point is – you have to be intentional with your gratitude because there’s so much distraction out there that can mask a whole lot of beauty.
2. Be intentional: Know your why, your purpose, your mission, whatever sets your soul on fire and remind yourself of it first thing in the morning. It should be written down somewhere where you can see it because it’s truly the fuel for your day. And one liberating part about your WHY (as mentioned in my 9 life-changing mindset shifts), is that it’s dynamic and can change and evolve in the same way you are.
3. Get moving: Even if it’s not a workout, get your body moving at least a bit in the morning. You can do a walk, some dynamic stretches, some quick bodyweight training exercises to get the blood flowing and moving your body – BECAUSE YOU CAN! I had the incredible experience of being in a wheelchair for a day with wheelchair athlete Aron Anderson and it really makes you understand how important movement and mobility are in your life – we can’t take it for granted and we have to keep moving despite our unique circumstances….get moving in the morning.
4. Give yourself some love (and some slack): Seriously, you’re totally rocking it and each day has its own set of challenges. You don’t have to know everything, but you have to believe in your ability to figure it out. Don’t forget to pat yourself on the back and celebrate your wins regularly. Give yourself 5 minutes to an hour to do something that makes you feel good, calm, relaxed and ready!
It’s impossible to go into your day every day completely prepared…because you have no way of knowing what’s going to happen. But what you can do is set up YOUR personal foundation every morning so that you’re ready to handle whatever the day might bring. Focused and energized doesn’t always bring rainbows and butterflies but it does help you execute your best.
- 6 Life Coach Tips for 2020 I WISH I Knew in 2010 - January 23, 2020
- 9 Mindset Shifts That Will Change Your Health, Life & Business - May 16, 2019
- Morning Routine: 4 keys to unlocking your morning magic to stay focused & energized all day - April 30, 2019