How can Blackberries Help You?
It is finally here! Berry season has officially begun and you should definitely be reaping the benefits that go with it. One of the best things about the spring season is the berries. They are a quick, easy, and sweet way to get more bang for your nutritional buck. While there are tons of berries that are readily available this time of year each berry has a different value they bring to your table. It is important to know the benefits for all of the different berry options, that way you can customize your own nutritional needs. For this post we are going to discuss the berry underdog, blackberries. By the end of this post you will know tons of amazing reasons why you should start eating blackberries today and a mouth watering way to use them.
Blackberries the Unsung Hero
When we think of berries we tend to stick to the three main berries: strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. While these three berries are amazing, and will definitely have their own post to delve deeper into their holistic properties, this post is all about the berry that is often forgotten the blackberry. Blackberries don’t get the respect they deserve they have tons of nutritional benefits. They weren’t always the forgotten berry. Blackberries used to be used to treat a number of medicinal needs, most commonly for oral health. But they can do so much more.
Blackberries are high in fiber which aids in digestion and promotes weight loss. They promote wound healing and provide relief from PMS symptoms. Blackberries are high in antioxidants which helps slow the hands of time. They are full of essential B vitamins that are known to increase energy levels, reduce memory loss, and improve overall mood. Blackberries are great for boosting your immune system and cleansing the blood. They help strengthen bones, and promote healthy eyes, skin, hair, and heart function. Blackberries can even help lower your cholesterol and help with regulating diabetes. One of my favorite aspects of the blackberry is the fact that it helps provide UV protection. Once again, Mother Nature trying to let you know she has your back. Are you ready for a mouth watering way to add blackberries to your daily routine?
Lemon Blackberry Muffins
Let cool and enjoy!
I love to add blackberry chia jam.
- -1 Banana Mashed (½ Cup)
- -1 Cup Blackberries Fresh
- -1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- -⅓ Cup Coconut Oil
- -½ Cup Coconut Milk Full Fat
- -2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- -½ Cup Coconut Sugar
- -1 ½ Cup Coconut Flour
- -½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- -1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- -3 Drops Lemon Essential Oil (Make sure you use one that can be taken internally! ) We love Doterra
- Preheat oven to 350 degree fahrenheit. In large bowl combine all wet ingredients, mix well.
- In smaller bowl combine all dry ingredients, mix well.
- Slowly begin to incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet (I do about ½ cup at a time) until both bowls are completely incorporated.
- Take a muffin pan of your choice and add a nonstick barrier to each cup (non stick spray, muffin/cupcake wrappers, or my favorite wax paper cut into squares and I spray the pan prior to adding the cups for easier removal).
- Place mixture into cups making sure not to fill completely (when you use coconut flour the muffins tend to be more dense and do not rise as high).
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 or until golden brown.
Here is a Bonus Recipe take ½ cup frozen blackberries, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, and ½ tablespoon of lemon juice. Place the frozen blackberries and lemon juice in a microwave safe dish cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir and add chia seeds (be sure to stir as you add it will avoid clumping) let sit for 5 minutes and enjoy. Be sure to store in the refrigerator.
Want more? Who wouldn’t be sure to follow us on The Best Holistic Life to your next dose of nutritional must haves. Can’t wait till then? We hear you, why not check out some more recipes on www.AskDrDee.com, you can also contact us by commenting below. If you want to have a customized nutrition plan to help you reach your holistic goals be sure to leave a comment to contact us we would love to help!
Leave a Reply