Do you want to try low tox cleaners but don’t know where to start? Do you ever wonder why you need low tox cleaners in the first place? Do you suffer from chemical sensitivity like itchy red eyes and headaches when you clean? Do you want to save money on your cleaners? Is your body on toxic overload?
I answered “yes” to all of these questions.I learned firsthand how mental stress and chemical stress can put a strain on our bodies and immune systems. I struggled with multiple autoimmune diseases such as Endometriosis and Hypothyroidism. After struggling with infertility for seven years and being put on multiple medications, my body started to fail me. It was on toxin overload. I realized that mental and chemical stress played a huge role in my overall health and healing. My body was telling me to slow down and get rid of all the crap. So that is what I have been doing- slowing down and getting rid of the crap.
By making these simple low tox cleaning and lifestyle changes, I was able to regain my health back one recipe at a time. I slowly started to replace all my toxic cleaners. Cleaning is no longer a chore but enjoyable for me. I love the aroma of essential oils and natural cleaning products as I clean my house. No more watery eyes and headaches when I clean! Plus, there are many health-added benefits to using these low tox ingredients. They are not only better for your health but better for your wallet.
I’ve been slowly integrating simple and low tox ways in my life to live clean while being environmentally frugal as well. I love sprinkling in my joy for essential oils with recipes and practical ways to use them. I’ve seen benefits in my own life and want to share with others who may be struggling to find a balance with living clean. Although a perfectly balanced life is unattainable, I hope you will join me on this path to living the best-balanced life that works best for you. Everyone’s balance looks different. My goal is to not make you feel guilty about implementing these ideas but rather inspire you to balance & simplify your own approach to life. God designed us to live abundant lives and live according to His purpose. You do you and I’d love to inspire you along the way!
Top 10 Reasons to Make a Change to Low Tox Cleaning:
- Low tox cleaners keep the air you breathe clean. Store-bought cleaners are full of toxic chemicals that can dramatically affect your health and well-being. Have you ever noticed that most cleaners have several warning labels to not breathe in the fumes? According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the air quality inside many homes can be 2 to 5 times more polluted than the air just outside our homes. Traditional household cleaners play a huge factor in pollution.
- Toxic Cleaners can be dangerous for kids, pets, & YOU. Do you have those child safety locks for the cabinets under the sink? Maybe you still do? Good for you! Keeping those chemicals out of reach of little ones is so smart! But, what if you didn’t need to have any chemicals under the sink (or anywhere)? Your only concern would be what mess the kids will make next! It’s also a relief knowing kids (and pets) are safe when you clean with low tox products. Not to mention the kids can HELP you clean! Children are especially susceptible to toxicity concerns with cleaners, but all members of your home can be impacted by toxic cleaning fumes.
- Low tox cleaners are much cheaper than store-bought cleaners. Most natural cleaning recipes require the same basic ingredients, which can be found in just about every grocery store. A simple batch of glass or all-purpose cleaner costs just pennies. It’s even cheaper when you buy the ingredients in bulk. When looking for containers to use, think about recycling what you already have: mason jars, pickle jars, glass jars, etc. Save money!
- Low tox cleaners don’t harm the environment. Cleaners easily seep into our water, and it’s difficult for many water treatment plants to treat a large volume of these chemicals. Built-up over time can affect wildlife and other natural resources.
- Essential oils are great to use as a low tox cleaner. Essential oils kill germs safely and have health benefits. They are powerfully concentrated so a little bit goes a long way!
- Fragrances, used in cleaning products, cause respiratory issues, sneezing, headaches, and watery eyes which are known as chemical sensitivity.
- Chemicals in toilet bowl cleaners and disinfectants are toxic to the respiratory and circulatory systems. These are often known as phenols.
- Most window cleaners have a chemical known as diethylene glycol which has been known to depress the nervous system.
- Formaldehyde is another chemical that is used in spray and wick deodorizers. This chemical is known to be a respiratory irritant and suspected carcinogen.
- Last but not least is petroleum. This chemical is found in most floor cleaners. It can damage the mucous membranes and cause a depletion of nonrenewable resources.
Other Harmful Chemicals
- Artificial colors
- Formaldehyde donors
- Propylene Glycol
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Low Tox Cleaning Shopping List
- Pure Baking Soda
- White Vinegar
- Castile Soap (fragrance-free)
- Epsom Salt (fragrance-free)
- Citric Acid
- Fractionated Coconut Oil or olive oil
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Witch Hazel
- Ice Cube Tray
- On Guard Cleaner Concentrate
- Small Sponges
- Glass Jars
- Glass Spray Bottles
Essential Oils for Cleaning
- Antibacterial: Thyme, Melaleuca, Geranium, Oregano, Cinnamon, Lemon, Peppermint, Rosemary, Lime & Lemongrass.
- Mold: Cinnamon, Melaleuca, Oregano, Clove, Thyme & Rosemary
- Insects: Peppermint, Patchouli, Melaleuca & Eucapylusps
- Freshness: Lemon, Wild Orange, Purify, Grapefruits, Basil, & Peppermint
- Degreaser: Lemon, Wild Orange, Bergamont
- Antibacterial: Cinnamon, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Clove, Marjoram, Oregano, & Thyme
Simple Low Tox Cleaning Recipes
Other Simple Tips
- Use Lemon essential oil and a soft cloth to polish stainless steel and chrome surfaces.
- Remove marks and sticky residue by using the Lemon essential oil and baking soda.
- Vinegar reduces odor and acidic smells.
- Use vinegar as a rinse aid in your dishwasher.
- Add 5-10 of cleaning essential oils to your laundry for a disinfectant and freshener.
Want more simple and low tox living recipes? Come check out my social media pages at Simply Balanced Bridget Instagram and Simply Balanced Bridget Facebook. Daily recipes and ideas are posted to help you improve your life in a more simple and low tox way.