It’s almost here! One of my favorite times of the year, Fall! The temperatures start to cool, and the smell of pumpkin spice fills the air. It’s a magical time when it feels like anything can happen. While fall is a season that has more than its share of amazing qualities there are some definite drawbacks. With the holidays just around the corner and cold and flu season quickly approaching it makes fall the season for multitasking. Don’t worry, Mother Nature and all of us here at the Best Holistic Life have you covered.
Mother Knows Best!
Have you ever wondered why we crave certain foods at different times of the year? That is because Mother Nature in her infante wisdom wants us to be healthy and happy year-round. What is it that causes us not to be healthy and happy year-round? Well, it may be hard for some people to hear this but at the end of the day, we all have ourselves to blame. We are constantly getting in our own way. Whether it is eating things we know we shouldn’t or doing things that we know serve no purpose towards our health or happiness. How do we fix the problem? It’s going to take a lot more than one post to even scratch the surface, but the silver lining in all of this is that we all have the tools we need to be happy and healthy year-round!
Pumpkin Fever is Catching!
There is a method to the pumpkin madness that seems to be spreading like wildfire this time of year. There are two big concerns this time of year for your body: stress and your immune system. That’s right, in case you thought I was just going through some phase and that was why I have been writing on immunity boosters and stress relievers, I’m not! While these two issues appear to be a constant issue for the majority of people the holidays tend to really amp things up several levels. Just the mere mention of the years Biggest Holidays just around the corner can induce panic attacks into even the most balanced individuals. Luckily, Mother Nature has our backs and ensures that this season’s foods are fully loaded with both immunity boosting powerhouses and anxiety tamers.
For those of you who have not guessed it by now, that is what makes pumpkin our seasonal hero. Not only does pumpkin pack a one-two punch of immunity strengthening and stress-reducing it is stuffed to the gills with tons of additional health benefits. For example, did you know pumpkin acts as a urinary antiseptic which improves bladder and prostate health? Due to pumpkin’s anti-inflammatory properties, it has the ability to relieve arthritis inflammation. It is high in fiber making it ideal for weight loss and digestive health.
Pumpkin contains high levels of vitamin A, C, E and B5 which promotes skin renewal via cell regeneration, while also improving skin texture and evening skin tone. It has anti-aging properties and helps with the prevention of hair loss due to high zinc content. Pumpkin has antimicrobial properties and also antiparasitic (kills intestinal worms). It has tranquilizer or sedative properties which make it beneficial for sleep regulation.
Pumpkin has so many health benefits that as a doctor of natural medicine I would be foolish not to condone its consumption. Just to show you how much I believe in pumpkin and it’s health benefits I am going to post an entire series of articles on ways you can get the most out of pumpkin this season. Starting with this amazing cookie recipe. That’s right, you can tell everyone at work your doctor has prescribed you two pumpkin cookies a day. You’re welcome!
Game-Changing Pumpkin Cookies (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Cookie Batter
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 2 ½ Cups Coconut Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Clove Ground
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg Ground
- ½ teaspoon Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Flax Seed Ground
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seed
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla
- 2 Cups Applesauce (cinnamon flavored)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter
- Honey Buttercream Topping
- ½ Cup Honey Raw & Local
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Milk
- ½ Cup Vegan Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine pumpkin, applesauce, egg, vanilla, and butter. Mix well. In a small separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, clove, sea salt, chia seeds, flax, and nutmeg. Mix well and slowly incorporate dry ingredients into the large bowl containing the wet ingredients (I usually add about 1 cup at a time). Once ingredients are incorporated well, grease cookie sheet (I used coconut oil) or use a nonstick option (parchment paper). Place in oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. While cookies are baking work on topping (if you want to eat them right away and you will trust me).
- Combine honey, syrup, coconut milk and vanilla. Mix together for 1-2 minutes then whip in the vegan butter. Unlike traditional butter, it may melt faster than you are used to. I suggest adding the butter directly into the premixed honey. Using a hand mixer combine until it reaches a buttercream like consistency. Once cookies are done let cool for 5 minutes (or add frosting and go to town warning things will get messy with this route) and frost cookies and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this cookie recipe it is one of my clients and my favorites. They are packed full of protein, nutrients, and flavor. If, however, you are looking for even more protein (for a post-workout treat perhaps) I like to add a scoop of my favorite vanilla protein powder. It does make the cookie a bit dryer so I like to add 3 tablespoons of coconut milk to balance the batter out. I can’t wait to show you even more ways to make the most out of this pumpkin season! Be sure to subscribe to the Best Holistic Life blog to ensure you don’t miss any of the posts regarding this series or others! As always, if there is anything I can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at DrDeeandMe@gmail.com or through my website at AskDrDee.com. If you leave a comment I can reach you that way too! Keep your eye for the next pumpkin recipe, here’s a hint it’s a DIY for anyone who wants to keep the hands of time at bay!
Dr. Dee, I am a pumpkin JUNKIE! I absolutely loved this information and the cookies! To die for! Thank you!
Dr. Dee says
You are more than welcome! Wait until you ready my recipe on pumpkin seed candy! It is part of my tricky treats for this month. I want to make sure everyone has some healthy and tasty alternatives that will help them stay on track. I am glad you like the pumpkin posts. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.